The Port of Astoria is accepting applications for the non-exempt position of Maintenance Worker. Duties vary according to work needed. The following abilities are expected of all maintenance personnel:
Pile and Dock Repairs
This is a skilled craftsperson knowledgeable and experienced in the installation of all size and dimension piles, on or near the water, including; concrete pile, pipe pile, H pile, and timber piles. Must possess general knowledge of blueprint layout and the ability to read and understand plans and pile layout. Position also requires general knowledge of concrete placement and work as it relates to the pile work for marine construction projects on, over, or under the water. Responsible for operating machines that hammer plies into the ground to support building foundations, bridges, and piers.
Facilities Maintenance and Repairs
Duties include but are not limited to sweeping, use of hand tools to make minor repairs to fixtures and appliances, changing light bulbs and HVAC filters, cleaning rain gutters and windows, replacing defective water delivery systems and waste conveyance systems. Maintenance personnel may be called upon to make modifications to properties including but not limited to demolition, rough framing, drywall, tape and texture and some finish carpentry work. Maintenance personnel may also be called upon to make modifications and repairs to walking surfaces including demolition, removal, grade surface repairs, carpeting, ceramic and floor tile replacement.
May operate hand and power tools while landscaping. May operate hand and power tools such as string trimmers, edgers and mowers.
Basic Skills and Experience Required
- Commercial Driver’s License with air brakes endorsements and at least two years’ verifiable experience driving dump trucks and combination vehicles.
- Verifiable experience working in all weather conditions.
- Verifiable experience working within a small group under difficult economic conditions.
- Verifiable experience including training credentials to operate mobile hydraulic and friction cranes up to 50 ton capacity.
- Verifiable experience including training credentials to operate Powered Industrial Trucks including forklifts, scissor lifts, extendable reach forklifts and snorkel lift units.
- Verifiable experience in rigging and positioning building components, heavy equipment components, logs, piling or other such material.
- Verifiable experience welding structural, fabrication, vessel and equipment repair in all environmental conditions.
- Must be willing to work nights, weekends and holidays, rotating shifts and occasional call in work on weekends.
- Verifiable dredging experience including working as a deck hand on dredge operations.
- Verifiable work boat operations experience.
- Trade school completion, OJT, apprenticeship, or military experience can be considered in lieu of certain requirements.
- To be considered a full time employee, the candidate must successfully complete a one year probationary period.
Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America and must be of legal age to work over water and in industrial operations.
Salary will be based on qualification.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and completed application to Matt McGrath at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be picked up at the Port Office at #10 Pier 1, Suite 308, Astoria, Oregon or can be downloaded here.
The Port of Astoria is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Passing a Background Check is required.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No calls please.
View All Jobs